How to use WordPress: Embed a Youtube Video in 3 Simple Steps
This short “How To Use WordPress” wordpress web development tutorial will enable you to embed a youtube video on your existing wordpress website. Simple, short steps.
Quick checklist before you start:
- Make sure you’re already in your wordpress dashboard (login at http://www.yoursite.com/wp-admin).
- You know the youtube video you want to embed.
Embedding Youtube videos is a simple process, but a very common question on how to use wordpress. Because we are all working in the wordpress platform, there are some very quick shortcuts to enable you to start giving video a home on your website or blog. Just Like this:
1) Find the Youtube clip you want to Embed
- Go to www.youtube.com and search for the video you want to embed. If you already know the URL, then you’re one step ahead of the game. If your browser has tabs, I’d recommend opening the youtube link in a new tab. A good idea for any “how to use wordpress” project.
- Highlight and copy the URL. Right Click on the URL if you’re not sure and pick “copy“.
2) Paste the URL directly into your wordpress post or page
- Now go back to your wordpress dashboard and paste the embed youtube URL directly onto the content body of the post or page.
- Remember: WordPress does all the work for you, but be careful not to have the URL on the same line as any other content. Give the URL it’s own line, otherwise it won’t function properly.
3) Let wordpress do the work for you!
- Now sit back and watch a new wordpress trick switch the URL right there and then. How to use wordpress has never been easier!
If your video doesn’t show up, it can be for a range of reasons. Here are some of the most common:
- The youtube embed URL is not on its own line.
- You are not up to date with the latest wordpress update. Contact your web host!
- The youtube embed URL is private, locked or in someway restricted from being seen outside of youtube.com – in this case, either change the settings if it’s your own video, or you’ll have to settle for a standard link to the youtube content.
If you’re looking for more posts like this, then try some of our other blog posts in the series: How To Use WordPress.