How to use WordPress: Creating a Separate Blog Page
This short “How To Use WordPress” wordpress web development tutorial will guide you through Creating a Separate Blog Page in 3 Simple Steps on your existing wordpress website.
Quick checklist before you start:
- Make sure you’re already in your wordpress dashboard (login at http://www.yoursite.com/wp-admin).
- You already have a homepage created.
The idea behind this tutorial is to create a Page that collects all your Posts. This can be confusing for a wordpress beginner, but think of Pages are the static construction of your website (Homepage, About section, Services, Contact etc) and Posts are the blog posts themselves. All of your Posts will exist on one Page. And that’s what we’re doing here – a really simple answer to how to start a blog.
This approach is simple and only requires basic knowledge of how to use wordpress. So, let’s get blogging!
1) Creating a separate blog page with Pages
Just like creating any other page:
- Go to Pages, then click Add New.
- Give you blog page a title. For this tutorial, I’ve called mine “My Blog Page”. This can be changed later, if you want to.
- Click Publish. It’s fine to leave it completely blank.
2) Change the settings
Next you have to inform wordpress that you’ve created a blog page. There is a specific settings page to alter this information.
- Go to Settings, then click Reading.
3) Change the Posts Page
- Find the Posts Page and open up the dropdown list. This will have all of your existing Pages.
- Choose your newly created blog page – “My Blog Page” in this tutorial.
- Click Save Changes.
Remember to add your Blog Page as a link in your website – using the top menu is ideal.
- If your blog page is empty, then you don’t have any posts – Get Blogging!
- If you can’t find your blog page, go to Pages, then click All Pages and find your blog page.
- If you want your Front page to display your posts, then go back to step 3 above and choose “Your latest posts” by the “Front page displays” section.